- College: Columbia College, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Medical School: Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Residency: Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT
Chief Resident Orthopedic Surgery; 2000-2004
- Fellowship: Spine and Scoliosis Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
Dr. Bomback has excelled throughout his entire academic career. After graduating high school as salutatorian, he then graduated cum laude from Columbia College, Columbia University where he was named one of only five Rabi Scholars (for mathematics and science) in his class. He then earned his medical degree at Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University, once again graduating at the top of his class with honors. He was named to the Alpha Omega Alpha Society and earned numerous accolades including the Bertsch Prize and Cummins awards for most promising surgeon. He then completed his internship and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Yale New Haven Hospital, and ultimately served as Chief Resident there as well. His professionalism and spinal research earned him the top two graduating awards (Southwick and Chrisman Awards) in addition to a national Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation Prize.
Dr. Bomback then completed a Spine and Scoliosis Fellowship at the world-renowned Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY) studying all aspects of spinal care including both pediatric and adult. He practices in southwestern Connecticut at the state- and nationally- recognized CT Neck & Back, Specialists, LLC. He devotes his entire practice to spine care – both surgical and nonsurgical. He treats all spinal conditions including complex spinal deformities (scoliosis and kyphosis) as well revision spinal fusions. In addition, he performs a vast amount of minimally invasive spinal procedures, reducing pain and hospital stay. He serves on the Professional Practice Evaluation Committee for Western CT Health Network as the sole surgeon representative, reviewing all cases with significant complications (giving him a particular expertise in second opinions and recognition regarding surgical appropriateness.) He also leads as the Medical Director of the Orthopaedic Surgery/Neurosurgery Unit at Western Connecticut Health Network.
He certainly welcomes the opportunity to speak with you regarding your particular spine issue and is confident that he can make a difference.
Dr. Bomback has published original research in the top spine publications (Spine, The Spine Journal) and has written numerous articles/chapters relevant to his expertise. He has lectured both nationally and internationally on spinal fusion surgery. His latest chapter focused on perhaps the most challenging cases in all of spinal surgery (revision deformity surgery) making him a true expert in second opinions for these complex scenarios. Reader’s Digest featured him for his “miracle of surgery”. He has consistently been named a Top Doctor by U.S. News & World Report, a CT Top Doc, Americas Top Orthopaedist, as well as Castle Connolly Top Doctor for Orthopaedics. He has also worked with several spinal implant companies to help design novel devices that are implanted worldwide. Dr. Bomback has a passion for herniated disc surgery known as microdiscectomy. He was the first surgeon in the State of Connecticut to implant the Barricaid device and is now recognized as a national expert and training surgeons nationwide. In addition, his warm bedside manner and ability to educate patients in a meaningful way earned him an online Report Card grade of A in addition to numerous Patient Choice Awards.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Connecticut State Medical Society
- Danbury Hospital Department of Surgery
- Danbury Hospital Department of Pediatrics
- Fairfield County Medical Association
- North American Spine Society
- The Spine Center at Danbury Hospital
- Yale Orthopaedic Association
AWARDS & HONORS
- America’s Best Physicians; 2017-Present
- Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd. Award, America’s Top Doctors; 2008-2023
- Connecticut Magazine Top Doctors; 2011-2017, 2020, 2022
- Doctor’s Choice Award 2017-Present
- Greenwich Magazine and Fairfield Living Top Doctors; 2016- 2022
- Marquis Who’s Who; 2017-Present
- Metro Area Top Docs; 2013-Present
- The Patients’ Choice Award; 2009-Present
- Consumers’ Research Council of America Award for America’s Top Orthopedists; 2010-Present
- O. Donald Chrisman Award Yale graduating Chief Resident for most outstanding thesis presentation and excellence in research; June, 2004.
- Wayne O. Southwick Orthopaedic Surgery Award, Yale graduating Chief Resident who exemplifies the qualities and characteristics of Dr. Southwick (former Chairman of Orthopaedics, Yale New Haven Hospital); June, 2004.
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation, New York Metropolitan Area Resident Research Symposium 3rd Place Award; May 9, 2003
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- Rosamond Kane Cummins ’52 Award Graduate entering orthopaedics with academic excellence, sensitivity, kindness, devotion to patients and the fine human qualities that he exemplified.
- Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- Robert G. Bertsch Prize: Emulating Dr. Bertsch’s ideals of the humane surgeon. Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- Herbert J. Bartelstone Award: Exceptional accomplishments in pharmacology Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- 4 Doctor Harry S. Altman Award: Outstanding achievement in pediatric ambulatory care, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- Cum Laude, Columbia College, 1995
- I.I. Rabi Scholar (Science and Mathematics), Columbia College, 1991-1995
Revision Deformity Surgery
Cunningham DE, Bomback DA, Boachie-Adjei O.
Surgical Management of Spinal Deformities. pp. 399-417, 2009.
Revision Deformity Surgery
Bomback DA, Cunningham M, Boachie-Adjei O. Accepted for publication in Essential Concepts of Spinal Deformity Surgery, 2008.
Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery Compared With Thoracotomy: Early and Late Follow-Up of Radiographic and Functional Outcome
Bomback DA, Charles G, Widmann R, Boachie-Adjei O. The Spine Journal, Vol. 7, Issue 4, Pages 399-405. July, 2007.
Manual of Rheumatology And Outpatient Orthopaedic Disorders, Diagnosis and Therapy
Farmer JC, Bomback DA, Sculco TP. Neck pain. Hospital for Special Surgery: .
5th Edition, pp. 139-144, 2006.
Destructive Spondyloarthropathy of the Cervical Spine and an Amyloid Mass Causing Myelopathy In A Patient On Chronic Hemodialysis With Diffuse Beta-2 Amyloidosis
Pappou I, Bomback DA, Girardi FP. Manuscript submitted to European Spine Journal, 2005.
Bone Morphogenetic Proteins: Spinal Fusion Applications
Bomback DA, Grauer J. Principles of Molecular Neurosurgery, Vol. 18, pp.52-64. Karger, Basel, Switzerland, 2005.
Comparison of Posterolateral Lumbar Fusion Rates Of Grafton Putty and OP-1 In An Athymic Rat Model
Bomback DA, Grauer J, Lugo R, Troiano N, Patel T, Friedlaender GE. Spine, 29:15, 1612- 1617, 2004.
Posterolateral Lumbar Fusions In Athymic Rats: Characterization Of A Model
Grauer J, Bomback DA, Lugo R, Troiano N, Patel T, Friedlaender GE. The Spine Journal, 4: 281-286, 2004.
A Brief Report Of Five Cases
Holmes S, Bomback DA, Baumgaertner MR. Coronal Fractures Of The Femoral Condyle: Journal Of Orthopaedic Trauma, 18(5): 316-319, 2004.
Limited Incision Capitolunate Arthrodesis For Radioscaphoid Arthritis
Slade JF III, Bomback DA. Atlas of the Hand Clinics, April, 2003.
Capitolunate Arthrodesis: A Percutaneous Technique Without Bone Graft.
Slade JF III, Bomback DA. Presented at American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Wrist Arthroscopy Course, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, May 10-12, 2002.
Visceral Plural Lung Graft For Myocardial Injury: Case report.
Bomback DA, Zikria BA, Freeman HM. The Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infection, and Critical Care, 48:1, 149-151, 2000.
Intussusception: Current Concepts
Bomback DA. Emergency and Office Pediatrics,
11:4, 133-135, 1998.