William McHale: Getting Back in the Game
The doctors at ONS have always been my resource for orthopedic issues. I met Dr. Paul Sethi when I broke my ankle playing football in 7th grade. In high school I broke my wrist and had a number of other strains and sprains, each time, returning to ONS. Dr. Paul Sethi is a sports medicine doctor who has an athlete’s mentality when it comes to treatments and recovery. He has a balanced view of treating an injury thoroughly and properly- while understanding the urgency of getting the athlete back to the game as soon as possible. Read full testimonial
- Dr. Miller- Just to let you know that I am grateful for the excellent surgery you performed on my left shoulder. I feel like I have completely recovered after seven months. Thanks so much for giving me back the use of my shoulder. Looking forward to playing golf again in the spring.
- Dr. Greene- It has been 6 weeks since you mended my fractured left clavicle and I continue to make progress in my recovery. I estimate that my range of motion in the shoulder is close to 90% and I am beginning to cautiously build strength in the muscles affected by my injury. I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving, and this year I am especially grateful for having such a great orthopedist as you.
- It's been over a year now since my elbow surgery and I'm back in full swing. Literally! My golf swing- I had my best season to date (over 45 rounds) and achieved my lowest handicap score of 10.8. I can't thank you enough for applying your surgical skills in repairing my elbow. With PT my recovery was smooth and quick. I was back up and running in just a few months. I feel better and stronger than ever. Your staff from start to finish was professional and compassionate. Thank you.
- [caption id="attachment_9521" align="alignright" width="275"] Aspiring athlete Brooke with Dr. Delos at her "graduation" visit[/caption] In 2014, local student athlete Brooke was playing basketball with her team in the 7th of 8 games at the AAU Nationals when she became injured during a layup after another player collided with her causing immediate knee pain. “I fell down and the trainer helped me off the court. We could see instant swelling and knew I needed to see a doctor” said Brooke. Brooke suffered a painful injury which required surgery. ONS orthopedic surgeon Delos Demetris, MD performed surgery to repair a torn ACL and a partial meniscus tear. Brooke said, “I felt a little bit timid before the surgery but the surgery went well.” After surgery and the healing began, she was happy to see little to no scaring. She started physical therapy 3 times a week in the first three months and felt the biggest hurdle about that was getting through the first week of PT. As she moved through the exercises the visits to PT were reduced to twice a week and after several months when she no longer needed to go she started working with a personal trainer to get back to the sports she so dearly loves. In just five months, Brooke returned to volleyball and basketball playing on the varsity basketball team to finish the season at the end of the year. Brooke’s mother said that the advantage of coming to ONS was the great communication Dr. Delos had with her and her husband and also how the doctor spoke to Brooke clearly explaining the injury, surgical solutions and physical therapy. She was so impressed that Dr. Delos took the time to communicate with Brooke’s trainers and kept constant communication with no gaps to inform and check on her status during the healing process. She was pleased with the ONS experience of appointment availability and quick visits. Something very helpful to all was the video Dr. Delos had them watch that explained the procedure and the pros and cons involved. Knowing what to expect helped and being able to have an open channel of communication with Dr. Delos made the experience so much better. Brooke continues her active sports life and is looking forward to her athletic career.
William McHale: Getting Back in the Game[caption id="attachment_8465" align="alignright" width="300"] William McHale with ONS Orthopedic Surgeon, Sports Medicine Specialist Paul Sethi, MD who has provided orthopedic care for Will since the 7th grade.[/caption] The doctors at ONS have always been my resource for orthopedic issues. I met Dr. Paul Sethi when I broke my ankle playing football in 7th grade. In high school I broke my wrist and had a number of other strains and sprains, each time, returning to ONS. Dr. Paul Sethi is a sports medicine doctor who has an athlete’s mentality when it comes to treatments and recovery. He has a balanced view of treating an injury thoroughly and properly- while understanding the urgency of getting the athlete back to the game as soon as possible. I played linebacker for Yale University and started in 30 consecutive games between my sophomore year and the end of my senior year. In my senior year though, I tore the labrums in both of my shoulders. It was so bad that I had to wear a restrictive brace to keep my shoulders from slipping out of the socket during games. I couldn't do most of the upper body weight training regime. It was rough. I had to get them repaired. On top of everything, I was under pressure to recover in time for my Pro Day in front of NFL scouts. [caption id="attachment_8471" align="alignright" width="300"] Will McHale - post shoulder surgery.[/caption] The surgeries went great. Dr. Sethi found more damage than originally showed on the MRIs. Afterward, did physical therapy three to four times a week. By four months post surgery, I was able to do most of the prescribed exercises and my shoulders felt back to normal. I regained all my strength between six and seven months after surgery. Dr. Sethi was completely sensitive to my goal to perform well on my Pro Day, and he worked with me to set up an aggressive rehab schedule. I was able to return to play with complete confidence in the strength of my shoulders, and I haven't had any issues with them since! The result was that my Pro Day went great, and I was invited to Minicamp with the New Orleans Saints! I just returned from playing professional football in France and played at 110%!
- "Paul is an amazing orthopedist. I went to 3 orthopedists and physiatrists who told me there was nothing wrong with my knees...." read more on YELP from Rob P.
- Dr. Sethi- Thank you for the amazing job you did performing surgery on my shoulder. It still amazes me after such a severe injury I can be healed so fully that I never sense a difference between my left and my right shoulders....it felt amazing to be back on the field after all that time...I will cherish the memories of my senior season forever, the memories you helped me make, by enabling me to return to my team.
- Dr. Sethi- Thank you so much for everything you have done to help me reach my dream of playing at Elon. I can't tell you how much your words of encouragement have meant to me this past year.
- Dr. Sethi- Just a small a word to tell you thanks for all you've done for [my son.] Not only have you repaired him physically, but emotionally as well. I am eternally grateful to you for your genuine interest in my son.
- Dr. Sethi- You would never believe what I can do with my arm (shoulder) now!!!
- Dr. Sethi- thank you for providing your expertise and service. You performed a ACL replacement, OAT's procedure, and meniscectomy on my left knee. As a veteran and college student of limited means...thank you for your medical service.
- Doctors, Nurses, Therapists and support staff- This is a big THANK YOU for all the expert and attentive care you extended towards my recovery from a broken pelvis and elbow after a spill on black ice in December '09. Let everyone know, there is Zumba after broken bones heal. I received excellent care at Greenwich Hospital, with elbow surgery by Dr. Geene (yay for titanium). Each of you as a part of this "total team" took me from being in excruciating pain and bedridden to no pain and full function and then some!